6.20.2011

Crazy Bran Bowl

I went to see an acupuncturist to try to find out why I've been fatigued in the afternoon.  I drink my green juice, I eat my veggies, I eat plenty of protein, my sleep was good...I was stumped.  He told me that for some people, hot and cold foods really affect their energy levels.  He said that in Chinese medicine, your biggest and hottest meal is in the morning - it goes way back to the 4am start time on the farm.  Since I was having green juice and smoothies for breakfast (very cold), I thought I'd give hot cereal a try.  He was right.  Crazy bran bowl in the morning and green juice and smoothies for lunch is the formula that works for me.  It only takes about 6 minutes to make and it's delicious! Let's get crazy!






Serves 2

2 cups almond milk
2 cups oat bran
1⁄4 cup buckwheat
1⁄2 cup frozen blueberries
1 tsp maca
2 Tbsp sweetener of choice (I use agave and/or organic maple syrup)
1⁄4 cup raisins
1 tsp chia seeds
2 tsp cacao nibs

Add milk, oat bran, buckwheat, and frozen blueberries to a medium pot and turn heat to high.  Cook on high for 4 minutes stirring very often.  Reduce to medium high, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Pour cereal in a bowl, add maca and mix well.  Add the sweetener, raisins, chia seeds and cacao nibs and enjoy.

Tip: I have all of the toppings in one cabinet in mason jars, so it takes about 30 seconds for me to throw them on!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I eat oatmeal every morning...never thought to put buckwheat in it! I'll try it next time!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!