6.02.2011

Cheater Chili

 This dish was created out of the combo of a bare pantry, and a very hungry girl who was not in the mood to chop or measure. At first, I wasn't too proud of my dinner creation as I thought is was lazy and kind of boring, but when I took my first bite, I whipped out the camera so I could share it with the world! It's bangin!






Serves 2 very hungry people

1 can of your favorite Chili (I used Amy's)
1 can black-eyed peas (or any can of beans you have)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (from Trader Joe's if you have one near by)
a few dashes of garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder
2 large leaves of chard or hearty greens such as kale or collard greens

Rinse and drain beans.  Combine the beans along with the chili, spices and diced tomatoes in a large pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.  Tear greens into bite sized pieces and put 'em in the pot.  Mix it up and simmer for 2-3 more minutes.  Serve over quinoa or rice.  Enjoy!

Quinoa:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
few dashes of cumin and garlic powder


Rinse quinoa.  Place in small pot and add water and spices.  Bring to a boil, reduce, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Fluff with fork.

2 comments:

  1. this looks awesome. can't wait to try it. i just recently became vegan and your website has been a huge help. almost all of my meals come from your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine! Your comment made my YEAR! I'm so happy to have been a part of your vegan transition. And absolutely honored that you read my blog and find it useful :) stay tuned for an awesome Tempeh recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!