2.20.2012

Cheezy Kale Chips from Heaven

 
I thought the love I have for my husband was a deep as it gets.  And then - totally and completely out of the blue mind you - he decides to whip these up.  Now I can honestly say that I know what true love is. Michael, I am honored and humbled to dub you Iron Chef of Kale Chips.  Congratulations, hunny bun.

Not only are these crispy, cheezy and salty in the most wonderful way, they are healthy too!  I don't want to say that too loud because I really don't want you to get the wrong idea here.  But they are!  Like super hero healthy! Good luck keeping these around longer than a day.  Sheesh.

Fills 2 gallon sized ziploc bags

4 heads of kale - destemmed, washed, and torn in large bite size pieces

1 1⁄2 cups raw cashews soaked in filtered water overnight
1 tomato
1 red bell pepper
1⁄8 cup filtered water
1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
1⁄8 cup sunflower seeds
1⁄8 cup sesame seeds
splash of lemon (optional)
1⁄2 tsp 'Smokin Willies' spice (optional)
1⁄2 tsp onion powder
1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
1⁄2 tsp chipotle chili powder
dash chili powder
1 tsp salt

Add ingredients (except kale) to blender and blend until smooth.  Add water a tsp at a time if it's too thick to blend - however, you want the mixture to be pretty thick.  In a large bowl, toss the cheeze with the kale and spread on your dehydrator sheets.  Sprinkle an extra dash of salt over the top of the kale.  Place in dehydrator at 115° F for 5-6 hours.  Be prepared for your entire house to smell amazing.  If you do not have a dehydrator, place in oven on 200° F for an hour or until crispy. 

 *I have not tried dehydrating them in the oven so keep an eye on them if you choose this option.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!