7.28.2011

Strawberry-Watermelon Granita

Photo Credit Thomas J. Story*
 I love everything about this.  The name is delicious, the dish is beautiful, and it cools you from head to toe the second it hits your tongue.  I had a giNORMOUS watermelon that I knew we'd never finish, so I went to watermelon.org for inspiration - these people are passionate about watermelons!  I put my own spin on their watermelon granita to cut out the sugar and add a little extra somethin somethin.  The slushy flakes of granita are so light and cold and flavorful, it's the perfect dessert for a hot summer day.






Makes 6 cups (this has to sit overnight)

1⁄2 of a LARGE seedless watermelon (about 6 cups)
1 cup strawberries (frozen or fresh)
2 Tbsp agave
juice of one lime

Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

Pour into a large casserole dish, cover with plastic wrap, and place in freezer for about 3 hours.  When mixture is frozen around the outside of the dish, but still slushy in the middle, stir well and scrape the sides down.  Repeat this 2 hours later so it doesn't become a solid mass.  Let granita sit in the freezer overnight.

To serve, scrape with a fork to break it up and make it light and flaky. Enjoy!

*My computer crashed right before I posted this and I lost all my photos of the Granita! So although this is not my photo, it's exactly what it looked like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!