11.13.2009

Best Pumpkin Muffins in the Whole World (seriously)

These are the most amazing baked good I've ever made.  I found the base of this recipe on the post punk kitchen website, which has awesome vegan recipes.  I modified this a lot to lower the fat, add some fiber, and omit the molasses.  So I'm definitely calling this my own recipe.  If you like molasses, add a tablespoon or two.  We had these in the morning, so I wanted a lighter flavor.  But I'm glad we omitted it because they are packed with plenty of flavor. You'll have no idea these are vegan.



Ingredients:
1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1⁄4 cups sugar (I use raw turbinado sugar)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1⁄4 tsp salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp. nutmeg
1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
1⁄4 tsp. allspice
1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
1 Tbsp ground flax seed

1 cup pureed pumpkin
2 Tbsp yogurt (I used vanilla coconut based yogurt - but use whatever)
3⁄4 cup almond milk (or soy or rice...)
1⁄2 cup applesauce
1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F.  Grease muffin tins (I used a 6-jumbo muffin pan) with vegetable oil or spray oil.

1. Sift together dry ingredients (flour through flax).
2. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (pumpkin through vanilla).
3. Pour wet into dry and combine.
4. Fill tins 2⁄3 of the way and bake for 27-30 min. (mine were done, but still ooey gooey inside at 28 minutes).  If you're using smaller muffin tins reduce the cooking time to 15-20 minutes.
5. Bake until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.  My knife didn't come out completely clean, but I like my muffins a little gooey in the middle.  So whichever you like!
6. Smother in butter and eat warm.

*Since there are only two of us, I usually cook 2-4 muffins at a time and save the rest of the batter in the refrigerator.  That way we can bake them fresh the next day or a couple days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!