6.21.2012

Carrot Raisin Muffins

Ok so I'm on a bit of a muffin kick.  And as I make them, I'm storing half of them in my freezer like the world is ending...nesting maybe? These are everything you want a muffin to be.  Sweet, moist and scrumptious.  They also happen to have lots of fiber and even a vegetable!  I love when I get my veggies from anything other than salad.  Stayed tuned for more muffin recipes!



Makes 6 large muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2⁄3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1⁄2 tsp salt

1 cup nut milk (I used hazelnut - soy or almond would work too.  Rice will not.)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1⁄4 cup canola oil
1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 tsp vanilla extract

2⁄3 cup shredded baby carrots (about 10)
1⁄3 cup oat bran
1⁄2 cup raisins
3 Tbsp ground flax seed

Preheat oven to 375° F.  Grease your muffin tin.

In a small bowl, mix the nut milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit to curdle.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Make a well in the center of the dry mixture.

Add the oil, apple sauce and vanilla to the milk mixture and stir.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the carrots, oat bran, raisins, and flax, and stir until well combined. 

Fill muffin tins 3⁄4 of the way and bake for 25-30 minutes until muffins are golden brown on top and a knife or toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!