10.18.2010

Creamy Kabocha Squash Soup

When Kristen had me over for dinner and told me we were having a squash soup that she found in The Kind Diet, my heart sank.  I really hate squash soup.  And when she excitedly told me it was just squash, water, and salt and pepper, I wanted to go home.  But I was a good friend and stayed and I'm so glad I did! Kabocha squash on it's own is so sweet and creamy that you don't need anything else!  We made it a meal by pouring it over broccoli and rice with some bread for dipping.  You could also add some tofu or tempeh!  If you can't find kabocha squash, butternut would work too. 

Serves 4

Ingredients
4 cups kabocha squash
3 1⁄2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1.Cook the Squash:
Place squash in a saucepan with the water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes until soft. 
2. Mash the Squash:
Mash with potato masher, mixer, or fork right in the pot.  If you're using a non-stick pot, make sure to use non-stick friendly masher-o-choice.
3. Simmer the Squash:
Add another pinch of salt and some pepper and simmer for another 7-10 minutes or longer
4. Serve
Place rice and a broccoli on the plate and spoon soup over it.  Salt and Pepper to taste.

Gluten Free

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!