7.11.2010

The Perfect Smoothie



Finally....the moment my family has been waiting for.  My perfect smoothie.  Michael and I drink these after almost every workout.  A great source of protein, fiber, omega-3, potassium, good fats, complex carbs (those are the healthy ones), antioxidents, and a little special happy powder called Maca, this is a super duper healthy, hearty, creamy and absolutely delicious smoothie.  There are a couple special ingredients like cacao nibs, Maca powder, and hemp protein that are great investments.  They are a little pricey, but a little bit goes a long way and they'll last a very long time - I think we've had our Maca for over 6 months and we're just about half way through it.  Go to my "intriguing ingredients" page for more info on these not-so-common ingredients.




Ingredients:
1 1⁄2 cups milk (we use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1 banana
1⁄2 cup almonds
1⁄4 cup walnuts
2 Medjool dates (pronounced me-(like the e in hemp) jool(rhymes with drool...or cool)
2 1⁄2 Cups frozen fruit:
    I used: 1 cup (about 10 whole frozen strawberries), 3⁄4 cup pineapple, 1⁄4 cup
               blueberries, 1⁄2 cup sliced peaches (about 6 slices)
1 tsp. Maca powder
1 Tbsp Hemp protein powder
1 Tbsp ground flax seed
1 Tbsp sweetened or unsweetened cacao nibs
2 tsp. agave or maple syrup

Starting with the milk, blend all ingredients until smooth.  If your blender isn't that powerful, slowly add the ingredients and blend a little at a time.

I know there are lots of ingredients, but I've made this so many times, that it takes me about 7 minutes so cheer up Charlie - you'll get better with practice.  And don't be afraid to play around with different types of fruit or the amount of sweetener.  Michael likes them a little thicker so he adds about 1⁄2 cup more nuts.

Your body thanks you :)

Gluten Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!